All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CELL PHONE TOWER!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:47 pm 

Let's do it, dammit!

facebook: Pine KONE Radio, PMC 100.9 fm

Post subject: Re: CELL PHONE TOWER!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:55 am 
Chairman

I wish, but apparently, there isn't enough people here in PMC.

PMC itself would probably never authorized it on a privately funded level but who knows.
There was talk about putting a tower at or near the dump area but as far as I know, nothing happened.

I do know I would drop my regular phone service in a heart beat along with my isp service if it was verizon we got.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:37 am 

There are too many pros to the cons for cell service up here. We can ship comedians in from the big cities for a guffaw or two on Saturday nights and on and on .. and yet we can't invest some of our expensive assessment fees in cell service. Talk about priorities.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:32 pm 
Chairman

I just found out that cell towers don't host internet as well.

Since we never had it, I had no clue.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:18 pm 
Chairman

Hello... haven't you heard of a 4G network? They are everywhere in the SoCal cities these days.

NEW technology cell phone users surf the web on their mobile devices!
Problem is you need thousands, if not tens of thousands of people in the local population, to make such a service available. Since PMC is such a small hamlet, I doubt we'll ever get anything like that up here. Even in the year 2020.

Quote:
A 4G network is the fourth generation of wireless communication. While still in development, the foundations for the replacement of the present network is currently being researched and constructed by the cellular phone industry and other technology developers. The overall goal for the network is to provide a comprehensive and secure Internet Protocol solution with much faster data speeds than previous generations.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-4g-network.htm

online 14 years!

California Maps
http://www.totalescape.net/store

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:06 pm 

I know I am very ignorant on this topic, but why can small hamlets like Frazier Park get service and we can't? I suppose it has something to do with the mountains...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:37 pm 
Gold Member

^ As I understand it, the problem is that we're surrounded by mountains which block cell phone signals from getting in and out.

I've hear different stories about the location of the cell phone tower that provides service from the Quail Lake/Gorman/Frazier Park area to the Mil Potrero Y -- it's supposedly above Gorman or on Frazier Mtn. peak. But neither location helps us; the terrain surrounding PMC blocks line-of-sight from both locations.

You can get a signal at the Smoky Bear sign turnout on Mil Potrero Hwy because the San Emigdio Creek canyon creates a line-of-sight "window" to the Central Valley. The few reception spots on the road to Cerro Noroeste peak are because your phone can "see" the cell phone towers in Cuyama Valley.

I'm told that the only cell phone tower sites that would provide thorough coverage from the Y to PMC are on Emigdio Mountain. The buzz is that construction expense & maintenance costs vs. low numbers of subscribers would make it a major money loser. I recall proposals of a smaller tower at the RV storage lot near the transfer site, or atop one of the water tanks overlooking PMC... but supposedly issues of spotty coverage and aesthetic concerns nixed those plans. (This is hearsay from a few years back, so I can't vouch for its accuracy.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

I've always wondered about where the cell tower that provides the coverage out there in Frazier is.. I'd assume the top of Frazier Mountain but the weird thing is that I've been on top of Mt. Pinos with easy line of sight to the Frazier Mountain antennae structure and had no service at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:38 pm 
Gold Member

^ I think it also depends on your cell phone service provider. On Cerro Noroeste Road a few miles this side of the 166, there's a hill bristling with communications towers, including a big cell phone tower. AT&T and others have cell repeaters on the tower, but my provider (Verizon) doesn't -- and in fact has no service from the 166 all the way to the Mil Potrero Y, a distance of 30 miles. When asked why, they always give some corporate bs about "your rural area being below the minimum number of subscribers."

The truth is these providers are too busy harvesting the easy profits (big airtime bundles for downloading games, TV and movies to your smart phone) to invest in basic cell service for the less profitable, less-traveled rural areas. (Ditto AT&T's refusal to bring broadband to PMC -- the potential subscriber base isn't large enough to meet their profit demands.)

PMC is not alone. Across the country and particularly here in the West, cell phone providers' piss-poor coverage of rural areas is so common, and has gone on for so long, that it's a major factor in the success of satellite phone services like Globalstar, Iridium and Inmarsat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:45 am 
Site Admin

It is official ! Cell phone tower contract has been signed . See Condor .

www.carlreese.com
Serving Santa Clarita & Pine Mountain Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:16 pm 

It is easy to miss. Look in the middle column on page 6 of the CONDOR under the heading:

A Message from the Board Chair - William Gurtner.

Good News! We have a cell tower contract. There is no estimated time for construction yet, but we have reached a major milestone in our efforts to bring cell service to PMC.

It's very brief and awfully vague. Is this a contract with a service provider, a tower construction company, or something else all together? The wording suggests a contract with a tower builder, but your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by Graywolf on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:48 pm 

Who, where, when.

Guess thats confidential information. Not fer us peon types to know.

I just wonder..................

Give me a sec,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

oh yeah,

I wonder how much this is gonna cost and I'll bet it's a sweetheart deal for those in the know.

Someone is gonna make some cake on this dealio.

And I'd rather deal with life without a cell phone up here. And that puts me in the minority, I guess.

Time to sit back, grab a case of kettle-corn popcorn, case of Maker's, and watch it unwind.

Oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:31 pm 

I'm with you Ol' Grumpy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:48 am 
Chairman

I think this is great news.
AT&T gave me a great deal on two phone lines for the price of one which is more then great.
I called them to drop one line due to a soon to be financial issue and they didn't want to lose the business so I basically got the second line for free.
Okay a about 10 bucks more but that's pretty good.
Now I feel sorry for AT&T and telcos all together in that so many people are dropping their regular phone land lines for cell only service.
I guess it's adapt or die.

I probably go with cell only service too but they did give me a great deal.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Gale wrote:
Now I feel sorry for AT&T

That's something you don't hear every day!